Friday, August 21, 2015

Lake Owen

The final resting place of my grandmother's ashes - Lake Owen.

After visiting the Nordic Lodge on Lake Owen many years ago, my grandmother was enchanted by it's beauty, and upon asking my grandfather where he would like to spread her remains, he remembered her fondness for this place - and I can see why.

It was a beautiful place with a quaint cabin and a lake that was long, but separated into small personable spaces. In the morning, the morning doves sang their song, and then were loudly interrupted by the loons. The family took a pontoon ride on Saturday morning around the lake and spread the ashes just north of some of the small islands along the coast.

We laughed, we drank, we relaxed, and we remembered the person of Joan Sundt. My uncles, my father, and I played on the floating docks by shoving each other off and competing in sumo wrestling matches. In many ways, I think this kind of unadulterated fun was the best way to celebrate her life, and as we leave behind the lodge, I'll remember that magical place.




No comments:

Post a Comment