Friday, August 7, 2015

Camp Week 10: Closing Thoughts



During the course of the summer, I heard a lot of interesting things from campers...

"Okay, what is the last command now that you're done climbing?"
"The show is over!"
"....Yeah, that'll work."

"Well, buddy, it looks like you're in Cougar cabin this week."
"Cougar? Cool! My mom is one of those!"

But my favourite thing I heard all summer came while giving instructions on the zip line. I was showing off the double-lock carabiner, my personal favourite carabiner, naturally. One of the campers, who had attended multiple weeks of camp, told me that he liked when I gave instruction because I made him "feel safe".

As a core staff, I don't get to spend a lot of time with the campers. It has been a wonderful summer, with about 20 children making the decision to follow Christ. Many others have grown in their spiritual walk and some even got to experience 'outdoor adventure' for the first time. Even though I don't have as much interaction with the kids, it makes me feel good to hear a camper tell me that my instruction and facilitating makes him feel safe.

All I gained here at Glorieta Camps will not be soon forgotten, and not just because I got a tattoo to remind me. I leave tomorrow knowing that if I ever returned to the southwest, it would feel like home ... a home without air conditioning.

...And in case you are wondering what the male staff do once the kids have gone, the summer is over, and we are not longer contractually obligated to abstain from alcohol...

WE BUILD FORTS!


1 comment:

  1. Patrick...your house is Michigan is already basically a home without air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete