Sunday, May 31, 2015

Training Week 2: "Let's Go Exploring"


Bill Watterson's last comic strip for his long running comic Calvin and Hobbes showed them riding their toboggan down a fresh sheet of snow off with a sense of adventure in their hearts. I got this tattoo to commemorate starting my own adventure. The offset printing style was how the strip was printed in newspapers, along with a CMYK key [the squares featuring the four layers of color], which seemed an appropriate style given my years at the Grand Rapids Press.

This week, I went through the surprisingly lengthy process of being trained in life-guarding, CPR, and first aid. For most of my scenarios I got to practice on some of the other lifeguards, including guys who were a full foot taller and sometimes 100 pounds heavier... so... you know, good practice. During the training process I think I did pretty well at remaining professional and serious... until we got the recitation masks, because those totally need to used to make Bane impressions.

 This training was additional to other training and I spent a lot of time away from my day camp team, whom I missed seeing this week. I am happy to be spending time with them this weekend as we travel to Tent Rocks by Albuquerque.

This is only a few members of the team, but they are all a fun bunch. I mean LOOK at those faces.
My Michigan companion, Casey, was awfully sick this week, but was still up every morning playing his guitar on the front porch of the guys' cabin. I got clearance to go into town and was able to get him some medicine, which seemed to quiet his incessant cough. I was also happy, because its creepy trying to sleep in the same room as a dying man. 


This week, it has been wonderful being able to talk all the staff here. Honestly, I have learned a lot about some of the people here, many of which I thought I understood. It's refreshing to learn the crazy circumstances that brought so many people to the same camp.

Here's to shattered misconceptions and comic adventures.
- Patrick





No comments:

Post a Comment