Sunday, May 10, 2015

Commit to the Bit

A friend of mine, who did not have English as his first language, used to talk with me about English idioms and expressions. It was a truly enjoyable experience to discuss the absurdity of such phrases as "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" and the synonymous relationship between "slim chance" and "fat chance".

One day, he sent me a comic strip...


...asking about the expression 'commit to the bit'. I replied back...
"To 'commit to the bit' is something I've always come across in theatre, particularly in comedy improvisation. A 'bit', in this context, means a short act or sketch. The example I usually give is of someone falling down [usually dramatically, perhaps after being shot with a gun] falling flat on their face, and to the best of their ability, not making it appear that they are bracing their fall. So, in their commitment to the bit, they are risking bodily harm in order to continue the authenticity of the performance.

Applying that to real life would probably mean to continue a facade or 'act' for the sake of the facade itself, even at the exclusion of self-interest.
In the case of the comic, Pierce is committing to the facade of false identity by creating one that isn't even remotely true, which is certainly not in his best interest, but 'commits to the bit'.
Though it's worth mentioning that Jeremy says this in a purely negative sense, when usually committing to the bit in theatre is admirable in, if nothing else, it's persistence).
You see, I was actually excited to answer. Back when I was younger, my two best friends and I treated the idea of "commitment to the bit" as our own immutable truth. We were big fans of prat falls and dramatic physical comedy, so it became a way of demonstrating our commitment to each other by investing time, energy, and even safety into our own play. When I decided to write this blog, 'Commitment to the Bit' seemed appropriate. All these years later, the 'bit' has grown to encompass all the things we hold dear. In a sense, we are all committing to the 'bit' of life, even if it means you have to fake your way through the uncertain parts. I am living with the supported assumption that this life is God-intended to be full of love, joy, and adventure. Until I am given a different script, I am committed to that bit. I will make sure to remember that as I embark on this adventure. Not just to New Mexico for the summer or a job in social work upon my return, but the entire adventure ahead of me. Here's to commitment to the bit.
-Patrick




  

No comments:

Post a Comment