Sunday, June 7, 2015

Camp Week 1: The First Week of Campers and News from Home

The children arrived Monday morning to begin our first week of camp. As they were unloading from their parents cars and signing in at the registration tent, there was one camper in particular who was latched onto his mother's leg and on the verge of tears. I quickly went over to my bag and searched for one of the many sport balls I brought with me in hopes to get him playing. Before I even located the toy in my over packed bag, I spotted one of the counselors kneeling down and asking the young boy his name and what his favorite sport was. I was once again reminded at just how great our staff was, and would continue to be reminded all through-out the week.

The first week of campers was wonderfully exhausting. Before the week started, our team went on a group hike that I would like to think helped us better function as a team, even if it meant for a late bedtime Sunday night. We hiked the Slot Canyons around Tent Rocks, just a 45 minute drive from Sante Fe. The view was beautiful, and so were we [see attached].



"Paint me like one of your french plateaus."

This week, however, was also filled with two unfortunate happenings back home. The first was finding out about a friend's divorce. While I cannot give details at this time, hearing this news was heartbreaking and I wish I could be there for him.
The second came from an unexpected call from my father. In the usual jesting manner, when he called and asked 'where I was right now' I replied ".... ...in New Mexico". My sister confirmed that when our father called her, she also answered with a joke. It's our love language. However, the reason he was calling was most likely the furthest thing from light-hearted or fun. Our grandmother, my father's mother, passed away unexpectedly while on medication for treating a heart irregularity. Joan Sundt was the only grandmother I had the pleasure of knowing in my later life, and it saddens me deeply to think she is no longer with us. My grandmother was a wonderful person full of charm, whit, and compassion. She was intelligent, daring, and baked the greatest pumpkin pie known to science. It was only a few weeks ago, immediately following my masters graduation, that I was able to talk to her last. I remember her sharing how proud she was, and happy that I would finally be able to take some time to not be so busy. She said that, above all, she admired my patience. She went on to share that in her experience with health professionals and social workers [which were many in her later years], that she appreciated the most the ones who demonstrated patience.

Grandma, in the upcoming weeks and in my coming career, I hope to put it into practice.




Here's to patience.

-Patrick


No comments:

Post a Comment