Sunday, June 14, 2015

Camp Week 2: Jemez mountains and Detroit

It is a little known truth that all foxtail balls wish to spend their lives blissfully in the branches of trees. Imagine their disappointment when camp staff collectively barrage them with soccer balls in order to break them free for the campers. All this to say... I had to order about 6 more of these.

Sunday, before the campers arrived, was spent in the Jemez Mountains and in their natural hot springs. I found one pool in particular without anyone else in it, AND didn't reek of sulfur, so... You know, girl power, and such.



Early morning Wednesday, I boarded a plane at the adorable little adobe airport in Sante Fe to make my way back to Detroit. On the plane back to Michigan there was skinny gent on his way back home from seasonal work drinking an orange Faygo. This made me smile and helped me mentally prepare for the funeral in Michigan. ...the guy on the other side of me spitting chewing tobacco into a coke bottle was less helpful.

"Ooo, something smells minty! ....oh no..."

My grandma Joan was a wonderful woman and it was a challenging week to get through. Seeing my parents, and extended family shaken up didn't help, but they were also a source of support and laughter. Our time surrounding the service was spent eating, joking, and playing euchre. Grandma would have been proud.

The service was beautiful with a touching eulogy collectively written by the family and was read by my uncle Dan. The sermon was given by Father Joe, who was a soft-spoken, yet poignant man of the cloth. It had been my first Catholic mass in a while, so I was a little rusty, but I was asked to read the passage from 1 Cor 13 "the greatest of these is love...". It was a good thing I had the passage mostly memorized, because my pocket bible isn't really designed to be read from the pulpit. It wasn't the tiny print that made it difficult to do the reading, but instead it was the reminder of who I was reading this in memory of. 

My grandmother knew and loved God, so my prayers this week were not for her spirit, but those still who are still waiting for glory, and will have to without her loving example.

Here's to those who taught us to wait and love.
- Patrick


The little events like hanging out with nieces and nephews at a junior soccer game was oddly cathartic.

No comments:

Post a Comment