Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Misty Mountains - Westbound

Saturday - 6/10
Michigan to Iowa

There isn't much to take pictures of when you drive from Michigan to Iowa in a day, but a short hike outside of a small Iowa town will lead you to the High Trestle Bridge. As I camped out under the stars in my hammock that night... I had no idea that would be one of the last nights warm enough to do so. 


Sunday - 6/11
Iowa to Badlands (South Dakota)

After the plain plains of Iowa (and the plains with granola of the rest of South Dakota), it was refreshing to arrive at the high dessert Badlands. I camped just outside the park and spent the remaining daylight hiking around, filling my boots with some significantly uncomfortable rocks as I traversed what I imagine mars would feel like. 



Monday - 6/12
Badlands to Teton Village [Wyoming]

Going from 100 degree dessert to the high elevations of Wyoming felt... a bit like going home in the winter. It was jarring, to be certain, but very familiar. Before I left South Dakota, I visited with an old camp friend and his adorably dramatic daughter, he gave me direction through the Black Hills that would lead me to the Teton mountains, a sight to see to be sure. I would stay at a hostel at the foot of the range, and bunk with a 80-year-old doctor Polish doctor named Paul. Paul survived Nazi-occupied Poland, believes marijuana is the downfall of humanity, hates Trump, thinks teachers are overpaid, and thinks some races are inherently lazier. I learned all of this due to him speaking in length on each of these topics while entirely naked. There are a lot of layers to Paul, even if clothes weren't any of them.




Tuesday - 6/13
Tetons to Glacier [The Beautiful Highway 191]

What.


How are you even. 


WHAT.


MONTANA!


HOW ARE YOU SO PRETTY?!


THERE'SWILDSTALLIONS?!

Wednesday/Thursday - 6/14-6/15
Glacier to Portland to Seattle

After spending the entire previous day with my mouth agape, I enjoyed a wonderfully uneventful and scenic drive to visit Portland, visit with some of my coworkers in the area, spend the night at a hostel, and head to Seattle. Once there, I met up with some more camp friends who showed me around the boardwalk and market before I headed east to meet with my brother and sister.

Friday - 6/16
Rattlesnake Mountain

Now that I've finally settled in Seattle with my brother and sister for a few days, I end the first half of my trip before I head back to Michigan through Canada. I caught my brother and sister [in-law, to be more accurate], near the end of their school year and looking to relax, which was perfect. But that doesn't mean we didn't hit up some nearby hiking at Rattlesnake Mountain.





I've spent a lot of this trip in prayer and petition about certain things in my life. I think best with an open road in front of me, and while I don't expect answers, I don't know what God will provide on the last half of my trip, but so far he has provided a wonder time of peace, love, and adventure, of which I am grateful, and curious. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing about your trip, Patrick! Love it. One of the rare moments when social media points me to something beneficial and uplifting. Hope the rest of your trip is excellent!

    ReplyDelete