Sunday, September 20, 2015

"Funemployment"

fun·em·ploy·ment
ˌfənəmˈploimənt/
noun
  1. LATIN: monet nil
    the state of being unemployed, but, like, making the best of it
    • the joy that can hypothetically be experienced when you don't gotta do stuff.
      "As long as the activity doesn't cost money, I could really enjoy my funemployment"
    • really though, it's just as bad
      ________________________________________________________


    •   I've had a steady job since I was 16 years old. These jobs allowed me to buy my first car, buy my house, and earn my undergraduate degree without student loans. I've received help from my family, and I've been pretty frugal in order to save, but my work and finances have been something I'm proud of.

       ...And then I left on an adventure.

        God called me away from the structured, busy life I had made, and said "let's go exploring". I finished my degree, quit my job of eight years, and traveled to New Mexico. That was almost six months ago, and now I sit here, without employment, taking odd jobs from peoples generosity, and looking at a savings account that is one electric bill from being taken out back and shot.
       "He's my savings account, Pa. I'll do it."

        I'm not writing this because I'm miserable. Quite the contrary. But, I want to stress how unfamiliar I am with this. Being dependent on others and God to this extent is unfortunately novel to me. I've been without work for almost two months, and I certainly wasn't working at Glorieta Camps for the money, so I haven't seen a real paycheck in quite some time.

        So what does anyone do when they are hard up for cash, stalking job postings like a starved raptor, and uncertain of how to properly invest his time?
       ...You go to Canada,

         My good friend Mike Johnson [Dark Moose] pitched the idea when he said he needed some help putting down flooring at his [biological] mother, Liz's house. The plan was to head to Toronto, earn a bit of cash, and gas/meals would be covered. The crew consisted of me, Mike, and our friend Nate Storvik. What started as a trip to help out and have money go INTO my account turned out to be something completely different. Something better.

        We spent four days being shown around Toronto and experiencing some great home-cooked meals, courtesy of Liz. We went to Chinatown, Greektown, the Ukranian Festival, Lake Ontario, and the Aquarium of Canada. 



    • Going into this trip, Mike, Nate, and I were all at various point of unemployment and learning how to experience it in a way that brings glory to God and draws us closer. Being able to talk and laugh with them encouraged me to enjoy the "funemployment" while trying to navigate the uncertainties that comes with it.
    • I wish there was something I could have given them in return...
    • ...Oh right, my cold. I gave them the cold I had. ..Oops.


No comments:

Post a Comment